1.1
Privacy and Data Security

I was using PayPal since 2005. I would not go back so far as to gripe about problems with opening and verifying account (who really in that age use fax when even banks and landlords are fine with emailed copies? and why I need so many different documents for that? and why you don't accept what you yourself said is needed for verification? and why it takes way over a month to do it finally?) or recount hiccups with PayPal periodically not letting payments through for no reason (usually it would just go away in a couple of hours, though if you are in a hurry...). All in all for my purposes it was nice and convenient way to consolidate one type of payments in one "bill" and separate it from other activities.

I have 2 kids, both play video games, and I was using PayPal exclusively to buy games and gifts for my boys from several reputable online sellers. This was a nice and easy way to see how much their entertainment cost me monthly (separate from other activities), and also I could skip saving my CC info on each website or having to input it over and over again every time.

However, all of a sudden 2 weeks ago my account was "limited" (means - I can't use it anymore for any purposes). Calling their customer support didn't help at all - girl on the other end was just repeating same thing that I read in email notifying me about an "issue". I've contacted them on Facebook and through email - and after a week of waiting got auto-generated response "sorry we can't help you with that". Another email - another auto-reply. After 3rd email I finally got back a message signed by some person - but again with same general answer. 4th email - and another answer by another person, with the same result.

All I ever did was buying video games from reputable and well established companies. I never dealt with shady 3rd-party resellers, I never transferred any money, never received any money, never did any other business through Paypal. And what they state as a reason for effectively closing my account?

First - that "Your PayPal account shares at least one piece of information with a PayPal account that has issues". Wait what?!!! How is it even possible? And how secure is the system where you can't open a second account but somehow your info is shared with someone else?

After that - "We noticed activity in your account that’s inconsistent with our User Agreement". And later - "PayPal reserves the right to limit access to any account reported to be involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behavior." Again - what?!!! For so many years everything was fine and good - why all of a sudden this?

And when I asked for any explanation of those actions or any facts behind those claims - after 2 weeks I finally got an answer: "In order to protect the integrity of our services, we cannot disclose the specific criteria that causes PayPal to limit access to accounts."

So basically they call me a thief and a crook but refuse to give any basis to their claims. They did not answer any of my questions that I repeatedly asked in my emails, I was never given an option to solve any possible issues in any way - "decision is final and no appeal can be made".

Thankfully I had no balance on account, but if I had - it would be held for 6 months, and only after that I would be given a possibility to get my money back.

Bottom line: if you still use PayPal - you are running a risk of losing your money at any time for whatever reason (or even without any) they see fit to lock you out of your funds. And when this happens - don't expect anything to be done by "customer support", they aren't there to help you.

Preferred solution: Customer should have a right to know what decision of limitation is based on (at least as far as information related to their own activities and account information).

I liked: Ease of use.

I didn't like: Customer cupport.

Comments