Verified Reviewer

Update by user Dec 14, 2021

After understanding that each call costs 2-3 euros, I stopped calling multiple times a day. I waited a few days and tried again today; the U.S.

International helpline is still down and not taking calls at this time, although it says it is working online.The issue remains unresolved since the U.S. Team is still not reachable internationally (automated messages end in the recording saying that they cannot help over the phone at this time).I remain unable to verify my ID and gain access to my PayPal account.

Update by user Dec 10, 2021

Have been speaking with PayPal agents on Twitter; they also tell me to call the U.S.International Team [where there is no one to answer]. They cannot help more, understandably, but there is no other live person for me to contact.

As I said, I reached an agent using the French line, but she was unable to help as my account is based in the US.I understand that the PayPal accounts are country-specific, but, understanding that they have customers traveling internationally, I wish that PayPal (US) would take care that they can be contacted by their customers when abroad. The agents I connected with on Facebook and Twitter were not from the US but from various countries, and so only wished me luck.It seems silly that there is no way to verify your identity but an unattended number.After more than a week of the number being down, PayPal must have noticed and should be providing a way for us to contact them, but they're not. They're listing the number as a way to reach them during business hours despite it not connecting us to live agents for over a week.Also...When contacting PayPal to activate my debit card two weeks back, the agent assured me that the international toll-free line would not be charged to my cell phone; PayPal would cover the cost.

Just learned that this is not the case and have about 30 euros to pay from repeatedly calling the U.S. International number given on the website.

Original review updated by user Dec 10, 2021

I am a US citizen. I have been staying in India during the COVID time.

I recently moved to France. I am between two stable jobs right now, and the only money I make is by teaching English online; this money is collected on PayPal. When I activated my PayPal Business Card two weeks ago, I changed my number to my French one with the man from PayPal on the other end of the phone.

Last week, PayPal asked me to confirm my identity to be able to log in. However, they want to do this by sending an SMS to my Indian number.

I cannot access this number to receive an SMS as I am neither in India nor is that number active anymore.

For the last week, I have daily called the international number for PayPal at various times of the day, all within the open hours given on the website. Each time, after going through 4 or 5 minutes of automated messages, I hear a recording saying, "We can't support your inquiry over the phone at this time. Please visit... [our website].

for assistance."

However, on the website, you need to log in to ask for assistance, which I cannot do as PayPal is asking to verify my identity.

Since I cannot access this money, I need to borrow money from friends and family for groceries, etc. I urgently need to access my account.

I have made contact (today) with PayPal via Facebook. The live agents there tell me to call, despite understanding my situation.

PayPal is not providing a working international contact number. I would like to be called to be able to verify my identity and access my account.

Please help.

December 10th..

International Team [where there is no one to answer]. They cannot help more, understandably, but there is no other live person for me to contact. As I said, I reached an agent using the French line, but she was unable to help as my account is based in the US.

Product or Service Mentioned: Paypal Customer Care.

Preferred solution: To be called, or given a number that I can reach someone who can help me. The international number for reaching the U.S. Support Team does not connect you to an agent; I have tried multiple times a day for more than one week..

Location: Sales, Auvergne Rhône-Alpes