Verified Buyer

1.3
Updated by user Oct 06, 2023

No response

Original review updated by user Sep 28, 2023

I opened my PayPal account Sept 13 2023. I verified phone, email and linked bank account.

About 10 days later they notified me saying this:

"Your account access is temporarily limited

We noticed that you've been using your PayPal account in a questionable manner.

To understand this better, we will require some information from you.

In an effort to keep your account secure, we've also limited certain features in your account. You'll be able to regain access to these features once you provide the information we've requested.

Based on this decision, if applicable, you are no longer eligible for PayPal Seller Protection as per our User Agreement. This will apply to all existing and future cases you receive.

Reference ID: PP-L-430684****31"

Note that the account was brand new and had ZERO transactions. There was NO USAGE whatsoever on this brand new account.

So how can the usage on the account be questionable if there was NO USAGE?

They wanted me to provide pictures of drivers license/passport, pictures of social security card, utility bills, phone records, etc.

Needless to say, we have no intention of giving our social security card to PayPal.

I tried to close the account and unlink my bank, but they would not allow either actions. If I do not agree to provide the social security number, the account will remain unusable. I don't want the account anymore and do not want to do business with them. They won't allow me to close the account.

As a result, I was forced to go to my bank, close the linked account and reopen a brand new account.

This was necessary in order to prevent unauthorized access to my account by PayPal. I have a RIGHT to revoke access to my accounts from PayPal but PayPal refuses to allow this.

I am filing complaints with the BBB and the FTC.

User's recommendation: Avoid doing business with PayPal.

Preferred solution: Close account and refund out of pocket expenses involved in closing bank account and reopening new account and having to purchase new checks, etc..

PayPal Cons: Arbitrarily limits account without warning or reason, Wont allow you to revoke access to financial institutions, Wont allow you to close your own account, Keeps your personal sensitive information for over 10 years.

Comments

chat-icon

Please avoid publishing any personal information and promotional content

PayPal Reviews