Verified Buyer

Verified Reviewer

1.7

I sold an electronics item online that was in good working condition (and clearly advertised "as is", btw). The buyer used PayPal to purchase the item.

Several weeks later, a rep from PayPal called to inform me that the buyer opened a dispute with his credit card company and that PayPal unilaterally decided to refund the money to his bank. That's right - no chance for me to dispute any of the buyer's assertions, and that it was already "too late" to do anything about it. To add insult to injury, they didn't even attempt to recover the item in question (~$350), so now the buyer has a good working item at zero cost to him.

It seemed like a scam I've seen perpetrated on others, so I escalated. Unfortunately, I basically got a "our lawyers are smarter than you little people that use our service...and we don't care" response.

They informed me that they determined the item to be "Significantly Not as Described", so no seller protection for me. How they arrived at that conclusion without collecting or considering any facts is truly amazing.

A few additional attempts to provide additional details were ostensibly ignored.

User's recommendation: Buy all you want with PayPal - you can't go wrong. But don't EVER try to sell something - you have no rights.

PayPal Pros: 100 percent protection for buyers.

PayPal Cons: 0 percent protection for sellers, Horrible customer service, Unethical.

Comments