Verified Reviewer

1.3

On January 8, 2022, I made a purchase through PayPal for $ 4,996 with my credit card. When choosing the payment method, I chose to make the payment in dollars and not in pesos (my local currency).

PayPal, anyway, charged me the payment in pesos, so I ended up paying 250 dollars more thanks to the PayPal conversion which is very unfavorable for the customer.

My credit card, which is in dollars, when receiving a payment in pesos converted it to dollars, causing me to lose another 170 dollars in the conversion.

In the end, the amount of 4996 that I selected to pay in dollars cost me $ 5414.

I contacted PayPal on several occasions and they told me that since my local currency is the peso, the payment was made in this currency, regardless of the currency that I have chosen as a means of payment.

This seems to me to be wrong, if PayPal cannot charge me in dollars for a purchase that I chose to make in dollars, it has to reject my payment or ask me about that, it cannot unilaterally choose to charge more money in another currency.

User's recommendation: Try to use other services first and use PayPal as a last resort.

Preferred solution: I would want PayPal to cancel the purchase in pesos and replace it with a purchase in dollars, like I requested in the first place..

Comments

PayPal currency exchanges are laughably expensive. I didn’t know they were forcing them now, that’s too bad, I’m really sorry for you.

PayPal Reviews