Verified Reviewer

2.8

On May 2, 2020 I ordered 2 relatively large radio controlled (RC) Blackhawk helicopters from an online vendor advertising on Facebook. These RC helicopters appeared to be 18-20" long, and capable of flying up to 100 feet in the air.

The videos in the advertising depicted these RC helicopters doing near aerobatic maneuvers. On June 11th, my merchandise finally arrived, and it was vastly different than what I had ordered - two tiny 7" long children's toys. I tried emailing the seller directly, but their reply was deflective and did not solve the problem. I mentioned that I'd be happy to return their (wrongly sent) merchandise if they'd just send me a prepaid mailing label.

Almost immediately after my sending this email, the seller removed all ads for this RC Blackhawk helicopter from Facebook. A few weeks later, they launched more ads on Facebook for similarly grandiose performing RC helicopters and aircraft, which I promptly reported as a scam to Facebook because I suspected they were just more bait for this seller's "bait and switch" advertising strategies.

Because communicating with this seller directly was not successful, I then went through PayPal's official Resolution Center process, and ended up going back and forth with them with emails for more than 2 months, without anything being resolved. PayPal ignored their own "hard" deadline of resolving my case by July 2, and continued to offer deflective answers when I objected to how they were dragging their feet and not following their own Resolution Center processes and deadlines.

I persisted in telling them how disappointed I was with their tolerating this clear case of "Bait and Switch" fraudulent advertising, and they continued to deflect me - saying that I was the one that needed to arrange (and pay for) shipping back the inferior merchandise to the seller.

I finally told PayPal that unless they could arrange with the seller to give me a complete refund, I would have to consider PayPal complicit in this fraud, and that I would be forced to contact the Federal Trade Commission, FBI, and any other pertinent federal agencies about this clear case of false advertising and interstate wire fraud.

It was 2 days after I sent this email (August 18th) that PayPal magically refunded my total purchase price. Lesson learned : never purchase anything from Facebook ads, and never give up on getting a refund from PayPal.

User's recommendation: Never buy anything online on Facebook, never give up trying to get a refund from unscrupulous retailers.

Paypal Pros: Usually a very prompt efficient payment portal.

Paypal Cons: Paypal resolution center ineffective.

Comments