PayPal does not honor its Word!

After some of the horror stories that I have read online, regarding PayPal, I feel that my complaint is very minor. But it is one more to add to the list of PayPal's rip-offs, screw-ups, freezing funds, taking money that is not theirs, in general screw-overs... and their obvious lack of care and concern for the public (the buyers). I bought aromatherapy bottles on eBay, they arrived broken. I contacted the seller about the breakage, requested another shipment and a return shipping label for the broken bottles. The seller did not respond. I waited a few days and tried again, still no answer. I contacted PayPal for help, since they offer "buyer protection." They sent an email to the seller the seller through them offered a $25 credit. I did not think the offer was fair, and I did not take the offer. The wording by PayPal was strong, in 'advising' me to take the offer, that they 'may not approve a refund,' I questioned the wording and later the refund was approved. So, I finally got an email stating that a refund would be issued. All the seller and PayPal provided me with was a PO Box and I had to go though the postal service to return the package, which was more expensive than UPS would have been, $24.59. Prior to sending the package back, I emailed PayPal and asked about the return shipping, they told me "˜not to worry', to fill out the form online, at their Resolution Center. I took them at their word, a based on the statement 'not to worry,' assumed that I would get a refund. Plus I got another email which indicated that I would get the shipping cost. I had to find someone, to take the package in to town and mail for me, the cost of the driving the 50 mile round trip alone was over $7.00. I am on Social Security and cannot afford the mailing or the gas money that I gave the driver. I just don't have that kind of money. But I was told "˜not to worry,' so I figured it would all work out and I would get the money back shortly. The package was sent and I waited for confirmation that everything was finalized and that my account would be credited for the broken bottles and the return shipping, when I heard nothing, I emailed PayPal to find out what was up. They then told me, that the shipping was my responsibility and I would NOT get a refund. They told me if I had question that I was to see their policy. Well regardless of their policy, if someone tells you "˜not to worry,' after they are questioned and asked about getting a refund. One would take them at their word 'not to worry,' which is what I did. But as it ended up their word does not mean much. (I got two emails indicating that the return shipping would be refunded.) I feel that I was lied to. I feel that the seller screwed me over, and so did PayPal. Yes they say that they were refunding the cost of the bottles (which I have yet to see on my credit card) but the return shipping was nearly half of what I spent to begin with. I had something similar happen with another company online, they added my return shipping to my account with them, which was fair and a good business practice. Anyway, I contacted PayPal and told them I wanted my account closed and my credit card info removed from their records. Their response was that I should not close my account because any moneys in my account would be lost; if I ask to have a check sent for those moneys, they said they charge to do so, $1.50. I know that is not a lot of money, but you would think that after screwing me over, and at the request of an unhappy customer, they would write off the $1.50 and just refund the money. I want nothing more to do with PayPal; I don't believe they can be trusted. Their "˜word' means nothing. In my opinion PayPal protects the seller, I mean that is where their money really comes form in the long run, isn't it. One buyer mean little to them, when they have a seller who sales a lot on eBay. But I believe that they should have some control over a seller who wants to do business with them, whereby processing their payments through them. I believe with that control, they should be able to make a seller do right by a buyer, but they don't. I believe they don't because they would lose the money they are making off the seller's sales, if the seller was to move to another site to do business. This seller should have had breakage insurance. I should not have had to pay for the return of broken bottles. It was not my fault that they were broken. But in the case if this seller, they got money back on the breakage either though insurance; OR their manufacture return of broken stock coverage; OR though UPS for breaking the bottles during the shipment; and I, well I got nothing as far as the item(s) I bought, and I got NO refund for return shipping. On the other hand I spent money on my credit card (interest) for as long as the charges stayed on the card, I had to pay for the return shipping and I had to pay someone (gas money) to take the bottles to the post office to be mailed. (And again, the shipping would not have been as much as it was if the seller and PayPal had given me a building address and not a PO Box.) But mostly I just got a lot of frustration. I think PayPal has a very poor way of doing business and their treating customers. It is a good way to lose customers, especially if others hear about what PayPal is doing to others, and maybe if people HEAR what we have to say about PayPal's way of doing business with us. Maybe our complaints will help prevent others from losing money with them too. Thank you for letting me share my frustration.

I received a request for an update on this issue. Sadly, I things have not changed.

But I have sent warnings to everyone I worked with prior to my retirement (I worked for a large company nearly 5000 people), I notified my church family, and my son and his wife who work at large companies sent it through there staff. So at this point more than 8000 people are aware of this story. I have received feed back from over 200 people so far and some have had the same issue happen to them. Some just wanted to say thanks for letting them know.

So my hope is if nothing else is saving someone else the grief of dealing with PayPal and their lies, screw-ups and screw overs.

I hope that by the business they lose due the way the treat the users, will either wake them up and they STOP! or we drive them out of business.

Eugene, Oregon
Service
Paypal Customer Care

PayPal 21 day hold on payments

Starting today, March 22, 2012, PayPal has instituted a new policy. Starting 3/22/2012, money from payments you receive will be placed in a pending balance for up to 21 days. By doing this, we're making sure that there's enough money in your account to cover potential refunds or claims. Even though you can't access the money right away, please ship orders quickly and communicate with your customers. After 21 days, you can withdraw money from each payment as long as the customer hasn't filed a dispute, chargeback, claim, return, or reversal. In my opinion, this is rediculous. PayPal has no right to hold any payment of my money to me. They charge a fee to handle the transaction, which I agree to, but what gives them the right to arbitrarily decide to lay claim to my money for a 21 day period to reenforce their PayPal refund policy, not to mention my money and other people's money sitting in an interest bearing account that profits PayPal at out expense. This is wrong. I will continue to use PayPal as a method for making payment to those that accept it, but I will no longer accept PayPal payments for any goods I sell. The new PayPal policy may even be against the law. I plan to make an official complaint to the Federal Trade Commision, and the Office of the Comptroller. By law, even banks can't hold your money for that length of time. Goodbye to accepting PayPal as payment. Due to their new policy that began this morning, PayPal is currently hanging on to almost $200.00 of my money that was paid to my account this morning. I must now wait until April 13th before I can withdrawl my money to my bank account. This will be the last time. PayPal is not your pal, not by a lonf shot.

The issue isn't just, if you don't like it, don't use it! You may be subject to an arbitrary red flag 'fraud' label and have to wait several weeks to receive your money without warning or notice.

They don't care if the product has been deliver, customer is happy and the reason for the 'fraud' concern was not stated. The CS reps will say there are several arbitrary reasons a transaction may be flagged and they are not allowed to tell you why your transaction was one of them. To add insult to injury - following my complaint the CS Rep forgot to release the funds after promising to check it out and verifying the transaction was good on both sides.

That is an unlawful taking in my book.

They are making alot of interest earnings on a float account and my $3800 went along way for them while I had to put my small business on hold waiting.

Bad Situation... I'm looking for a better ser vice.

Lets hope the FTC, FDIC, Attorney General or other authorities get involved. After all, it is your money. The new PayPal policy allows predator buyers to game the system.

The best alternative is to just set up a merchant account. Up front costs might be several hundred dollars but are negotiable.

If you are selling on eBay, contact your bank and see if they have a relationship with First Data and Authorize.net. These two entities can steer you through the process to set up a merchant account and are not owned or controlled by eBay or PayPal.

Good luck!

I think the problem here is that they continue to hold money even after goods are recieved by the customer. Even though their policy states that they will release money after the shipment is recieved; they still hold it.

It's just about money and keeping as much of it as they can.

They get to build the interest over 21 days of holding everyone's money and you get to suffer for it. It's BS.

They have every right to hold the funds. You also have the right to not use Paypal. Funny how free will works huh?

Yesterday I filed an official complaint with the Federal Trade Commission about PayPal putting a 21 day hold on money that does not belong to them. In my opinion, this constitutes stealing because they keep this money in interest earning money market accounts.

The interest they are earning is from my money and everyone elses money they are holding. If PayPal holds a million dollars a day, and that's probably a conservative number, the interest earned is substantial. I believe this is illegal.

They have no right to be earning interest from my money that they don't pass on to me. I hope more people file a complaint about this new PayPal policy with FTC.gov

Yeah, it's like they are setting you up to fail. Now I was depending on those funds to ship the orders.

Some of them got out late, as I had to wait for our paycheck that goes into our bank every two weeks to post, before I could ship items. Is this making the customer want to leave good feedback for you? NO!

It's ***. It's my MONEY, AND I WANT IT NOW!!

View more comments (5)
High Springs, Florida

PayPal Buyer Protection

Berk Law has begun investigating the "Buyer Protection" practice of PayPal. Buyer Protection, in part, protects against counterfeit products if: "The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic." However, it has been reported to us that PayPal's policy makes it nearly impossible to protect its users from counterfeit products. Please read our blog post about this discrepancy: http://www.thecorporateobserver.com/2012/03/articles/consumer-protection/paypal-buyer-protection-less-protective-than-consumers-would-hope/ . It would help greatly to hear from any impacted PayPal users via email, telephone, or comment to the blog. The more incidences of which we become aware, the better we can analyze the issue and determine whether there is any way to help make consumers whole. If you were unable to obtain relief for counterfeit goods using PayPal's Buyer Protection program, or have experienced similar issues with PayPal or other financial services providers, please contact us at info@***.com, or via telephone at (202) 232-****.

We had a legitimate sale on ebay but the buyer later said that it was a bogus credit card charge that he didn't make. Paypal froze our assets and wouldn't provide us any information on the scammer.

We are out $3600 because they did not support us a sellers. We are ebay power sellers and have been for years.

Haven't been able to get any help getting our money back and now they are reporting us to credit bureaus. This is not right.

hi arezuh ive been selling and buying for years on ebay and i recently purchased 2 diamond rings for a small amount of money and of course they turned out to be counterfeit from china. i opened a case and stated i wanted all shipping paid back and full refund, the seller refunded me in full after the resolution process.

I believe alot of factors were involved, but for me it worked out well, i would have preferred diamonds though. ahhh christmas.

View more comments (1)
Reston, Virginia

Pay pal

I got ripped of by an ebay buyer and i filed a cmplaint with paypal. I did everything they told such as filing a police report but they still say i owe them. They locked my account and said if i want to close it i have to pay i said nope cuz you guys wont fix the problem. There costomer servise is realy bad and i got nowhere. They kept transfering me. I do not recomend pay pal to anyone. Now i think they are still tring to get money out of me. I only shop on a site without pay pal.

This is the most corrupt corporation they will stop at nothing to *** over. They have changed the website page for Pay Pal Smart Connect Card.

I agree. Paypal is really not secure and hackers are always trying to breach their security. Best to stay away from it.

@John N Mzy

View more comments (2)
Carson City, Nevada

Can not trust PayPal

I based a purchase I made from a Chinese vendor on the fact that I could, and did, use PayPal to pay for the transaction. Bad mistake. The item was not shipped for 12 days after the order. I did cancel the order but the vendor did not honor the cancelation. The item shipped was not the item I had ordered. I contacted the vendor and received a return merchandise authorization. According to their return policy, they were suppose to pay for the return shipping. After many emails back and forth, I applied for my money back from PayPal. PayPal initiated a request to the vendor in order for me to get my money back. Bottom line, PayPal was not able to get me my money back. I would warn everyone using PayPal to be very careful.

Want to see what they really do? Go to You Tube type ge capital retail pay pal look for the green snakes.

They have changed the website page for Pay Pal Smart Connect Card. You can no longer go in & copy & paste nor "View Card" Details. Please read the post from an employee at GE Captial & Pay Pal at Rip-Off Report#114****. You can also see actual documents that I have upload on this site.

Lady Lake, Florida

Ebay/Paypal Aid and Abet Internet Theft

Recently I sold several lighters to an Australian buyer called hapy_horus. While the first box of lighters was en route to this buyer,he became angry over the price of shipping on his latest purchase and decided to open six Paypal disputes against me and leave 25 negative feedbacks to punish me for not allowing him to take advantage of me. Well,Paypal ordered him to return the items to me since he claimed every single one was not as described. As soon as his tracking number showed it was delivered to me,Paypal(in spite of my overwhelming proof that he was lying and had also left death threats on my phone)closed the case in his favor. Well in the boxes delivered to me was a bunch of broken and scrap lighters covered in kerosene and not what I had shipped to him. He now had the lighters and my money. Paypal said I had to file a police report,which I did,and that I could then appeal their decision. Every seller on Ebay knows that Paypal and Ebay are owned by each other and that they do everything thing in their power to discourage sellers from getting back at buyersthat steal from them. This is done to discourage sellers fom causing problems and making them do their job which is to provide a safe marketplace. I say that Ebay?Paypal are complicit in internet theft and fraud because it happens on their watch,with their full knowledge and they fail to lift a finger to stop it. Any buyer that wants to screw a seller can do it just like this guy did to me. Complain about the item to Paypal or Ebay,return a piece of junk or an empty box and the seller will usually think it is not worth the trouble. I am fighting them to the very end. This Australian criminal has cost me over 500 dollars so far-all with Paypal/Ebay's blessing. this has to stop and the public needs to be made aware of what these two condone. As long as they get their final value fees-they don't give a ***!

EBAY & Pay They have changed the website page for Pay Pal Smart Connect Card. You can no longer go in & copy & paste nor "View Card" Details.

I have listed them here: The Reports that have downloads are: Review #: 483913, Review #: 397877,Review #: 403826, Review #: 408105,Review #: 478478, Review #: 483025. It is faster when you read the documents that have been uploaded instead of reading all the posts.

PS I read the thing and it was 36.60 not 26.60, Im just very angry and my typing skills are suffering from it. Thank You

@PissedConsumer488877

Pal are as crooked as it gets. Check out You Tube type in ge capital retail pay pal look for the green snakes this will back all that you have posted EVIL CROOKS

It all started with me paying my Ebay bill early, according to the Supervisor at Ebay the "computer" did n ot recognize the payment, even though I had send two emails letting them know that it had been paid in full. I was suppost to get a 26.60 credit, It went from Ebay to Paypal as a Debit, from there it was sent to my bank(I only use this bank for the ebay and paypal monies)and so of course there was no money in the bank.

It was supposed tobe a credit so I called antried to explain to them that I was going to put a stop payment on the money from my bank and that it would cost me 30.00, after 4 Hrs of being on the phone, mostly being hung up on and calling back, I finally got a man who said he would credit me the 20.00 towards the stop payment charge, The guy posted that to my Ebay bill as well!!!! So now I have a 56.60 credit and still owe the bank 30.00!!! I then called paypal and explained that that money was to be put in my paypal balance so I could send it to my bank, I was unable to get a paypal debit card because "the computers were down for 4 months", and so they put it in the paypal balance along with the other 3 dollars I had, today I go online and now I owe the bank 30.00 from this but I am in the red for 16.00 to paypal!!!!! So where did that money go???

I called again and talked to three "supervisors", as far as Im concerned have *** for brains and was told" Sorry, we will NOT refund any money to you", so I am being ripped off and appareantly there is no way to gget my money back and now I owe all this money. What can I do any suggestions????? I, in the meantime an no longer selling, I took everything off ebay and shut my paypal acct. I was with both of them for over 10 yrs, I only started selling in Feb, that is when all this trouble started.

I LOST A LOT OF MONEY AND THE FEES ARE ASTRONOMICAL!!!!

anyway, for whatever purpose here is my story. BE CAREFUL, THEY WILL STEAL LIKE ANYONE ELSE AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

@PissedConsumer488875

View more comments (4)
Brick Township, New Jersey

Pay Pal

Update by user Jun 05, 2013

Pay Pal was canceled and all is fine. My son does not use account nor do I.

Original review posted by user Feb 23, 2012
I share an E Mail Address with my son Dawayne. Dawayne has no credit cards so I put mine on the pay pal account which is in his name. I went to change one credit card with another so I could order something from another country.We have passwords etc. wrote down so both can use this account. I could not get into account. I tryed for over 2 hours. When Dawayne came home, he tried and finally got into account and put new info on but could not get old card off. I called 4 times with no corection to the problem. Guess they lost 2 customers instead of one!!

You admit that you couldn't even log in on your own. So of course you couldn't figure out how to use paypal. It's pretty easy, but if you can't even log into your own account without help, well, then it's your own fault.

I can understand about verifing an account and not letting you take one off. Oh this account had not been used in a while But..

To go round and round with pssword and secert ?'s and you end up right back doing passwrd and secert ? again and again,then still can not get into account is another thing. Something was wrong and when I tried to ask / tell lady and she wou,ld not listen, That is why I got really, really pissed.

My son did the same thing, he went round and round..password, secert ?, password, secert ?.. When you do that 4 -5 times you get alittle up set.

At first I could not even change to add. I will not use it anymore as the way they treated me.

When I first signed up with my son, they said "no problem" on the usage of my cards on his account as long as we shared passwords etc.. Then account was froozen and you could not get through. Just went round and round with the same imfo to put in. Called 4 times and last time I was pissed and yelled at lady.

She inturn called the local police K-9 unit. (It is the only time they came fast) I still could not get through.. When my son came home, he could not get in to account, same thing round and round..

If this is the way they do business, they do not need us.. I do not trust em now.

thats correct you cannot remove a card from paypal until you add a new card and have it verified and link it to a bank account.

it is so people dont just add a card that may not have alot of money on it and then purchase a big ticket item then dont pay paypal.

View more comments (3)
Yakima, Washington

Complain about PayPal Services

customers be aware:when a web encourage you to use your credit card or bank account through PayPal as a "safer option" it will turn your money into gift card!!! you'll never be able to return and credit your credit card or checking account ,the only option will be to get store or company's credit!!! just made a huge purchas from Target's web and when i returned few items,i was issued store credit as the only option so i am stuck with $200 store credit. i spoke with Target's customer service and found out it is wreaten some where at the "agreement of term "that nobody ever read.

It's not their fault you can't read....or spell.

New York, New York

Paypal: CORRUPT THIEVES!

SELLER BEWARE! Are you thinking their cheap rates sound pretty good? What's to lose? THINK AGAIN. Don't integrate your business with them and put trust in them because the minute you do, they will SCAM you out of YOUR MONEY!! They shut down my account after being with them for 8 YEARS (WITH NOT A SINGLE COMPLAINT OR DISPUTE IN MY ACCOUNT) and not only did they close it down without warning, they also froze my money for 180 days.....THAT'S 6 FRACKIN MONTHS!!!! And if that isn't enough, they don't even have the courtesy to give you a REASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are a scam company and the government needs to step in and start regulating them. They take our money like banks and play with the interest like banks but they have NONE of the regulations that banks have. Regulations that are meant to PROTECT us as consumers. The whole thing is a bad joke. ON US! If you're a seller or business owner, stay the *** away. Use a REAL merchant and save yourself the despair and trouble. If you have no other choice (which I beg you to keep looking) PULL OUT YOUR MONEY AFTER EVER SINGLE SALE NO MATTER WHAT!!!

those bastards froze my account permanently for no reason! I never even sold anything!

Mississauga, Ontario
Paypal Account

Paypal refuses to pay for an order I've placed internationally

To begin with, I have to say that our situation is probably more complicated then most, as spread over 1 year, we more or less live in 3 countries. Originally the paypal account was opened in France to purchase an item for a friend, we spend some time in the U.S, and winters are spent in the Caribbean. We tried to purchase a couple of items from a company in the United States, the value about $700. As many U.S. companies will not accept credit cards issued in Europe, we remembered our old paypal account, and charged the items to it. An initial confirmation of the order was e-mailed to us, as well as the debit note from paypal. The amount was immediately charged to our credit card! The very next day, the order was cancelled. A phone call to the supplier (very Helpful) revealed that the order had been cancelled by paypal. After an endless search, we finally found paypal's phone number on their website, not the easiest thing to do. The phone service was located in Ireland, but the account having been opened in France, the only available language was French! Not a major problem, as my French is quite fluent, still a choice wouldn't do any harm! As we tried to confirm that it was indeed us that had placed the order, they put more and more obstacles in our way. First there was a supposedly " code" charge 0f $3 on our credit card, with that we would "identify" ourselves. several days later, code submitted, our paypal account was still frozen. Another call to Ireland revealed, they now requested the upload of a photo I.D.! Begrudgingly we did that as well, only it never changed a thin, although we had 2 e-mails from paypal, confirming full access to the account had been restored. Next phone call told us a paypal account could not be used internationally!!! and would therefore stay frozen. Furthermore the $3 "code charge" could not be refunded unless we supplied them with our personal bank account number (not very likely). next we cancelled the order with the supplier, and were informed that they would like to refund the money, but were unable due to our blocked paypal account. We are still waiting for our refund, and probably will have to dispute the issue on the credit card end, since there is no way we will phone paypal again!!! In the future if the only payment method is paypal, we will find another supplier.
Washington, District Of Columbia
Paypal Account

Paypal hiring employees from other countries

Paypal used another bank acct I had to sent my money to pay someone $798.55. they used the wrong bank which had no money and incurred fees from that bank. They then put my paypal acct into minus!!! This was on a Sunday and the person I was talking to was from the Phillipines. He treated me as though it was all my fault and that they could do nothing about it. I needed to use my Paypal acct and couldn't because of my minus acct. I asked for a supervisor and it was like I was talking to the same person. I felt helpless. Today I spoke to someone from Arizona. She fixed it.

EyeTweaks would like to know how it feels to be the most hated company in the world eBay and Paypal. Stealing money from your visitors will only work so long till you have no more visitors. EBAY AND PAYPAL ARE CORRUPT EMAIL ME ILL SHARE MY STORY HOW THEY STOLE MY MONEY, MY ITEM AND DUMPED MY ACCOUNT.

San Jose, California

Paypal & Ebay

SHipped an item to a customer, overseas to French Islands, via USPS Priority mail insured (biggest joke) Item tracking stock in a limbo in a sort facility in Jersey out of all the places, customer files dispute has not received the item (which is legitimate), I open up an investigation with USPS international (sounds great), and told it will take up to sixty days to complete so called investigation, however Paypal being the friendly buyer advocate, does not wait even 10 calendar days and on my behalf refunds the money to the customer, not only the purchase price but the shipping as well...... Hmmm, I call, steaming, and I am told that unless tracking shows the item is delivered, there is nothing they can do only rule to buyer's favor, I ask but how come you have refunded shipping fee? Well they say in case the customer does receive the item, I the seller can file an appeal, and they will ask the customer who by now will be in possession of the item, and the money to kindly return the money, wow, I ask and if the said customer is no longer a customer of EBAY or Paypal, what then? Well sorry pal, they said, what can we do, it is your responsibility to collect then......... AM I PISSED?
Miami Beach, Florida

Ebay

I sell very small amount on Ebay. Like $100 month. Their holding $26 which is crazy. I am not sending out the items until they release my $$. I am not doing anything illegal...I think Ebay and Paypal are punishing everyone for the ones who are doing illegal tranactions. I will be closing my paypal account. Does anyone know of another way people can pay you and you can pay them other than paypal thur ebay. I believer Ebay will lose customers due to the paypal of holding peoples money. I use to have people send me their checks and hold for 10 days which is better than 21 day that paypal hold.

You can still make transactions thru Paypal you just have to wait a for extra seconds for the screen shots to change. EBAY AND PAYPAL WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY AND YOUR ITEMS EMAIL ME ILL SHARE MY STORY HOW THEY STOLE MY MONEY MY ITEM AND SHUT DOWN MY ACCOUNT BECAUSE THREE PEOPLE IN one year stated i shipped to slow for them, what about the other 1700? Dumb@***s

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Selling

I sold a train set today 1/30/12 on ebay. I received funds at paypal but pending not available until Feb 18. My bank was already verified from several transactions through paypal in the past two years. Yet for some unknown reason I'm getting message that my bank account has not been verified. Anyways way to long to wait, I'm almost broke. Paypal also charges fees that they do not post at all on there website beforehand that I could see. I will be calling ebay to see if there is a different way to handle funds.

China do not sell *** in China. They do make some *** that is sold only to overseas countries.I have just returned from China and the quality there is amongst the best in the world at a third of the price.All the world's top brands are sold there.Truly the best country that I have ever been to. I have been round the world twice but nothing matches China.At l least they don't have the disgusting prices one is expected to pay for a Broadway show.

They are doing this so they can collect the interest off the millions in illegal holdings they have captured they're stealing our money america its a effort by the communist company ebay / paypal to keep the american economy down while china sell us their ***.

View more comments (1)
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Paypal is directing my payments to BillMeLater without my authorization.

I recently made a purchase using Paypal (not thru ebay). When I got to the payment window, there was a pre-checked box that said "pay using BillMeLater". I did not want to use the service so I unchecked the box. When I clicked to make the payment, a confirmation window popped up that read, "your payment has been processed using BillMeLater". I was so pissed off I immediately called BillMeLater to cancel my account. I know what their game is; they are hoping I won't make my payment in time so they can charge me 20% interest on my purchase. The fact that they ignored the unchecked box and routed the purchase thru BillMeLater really infuriated me. The rep I spoke with kept trying to prevent me from canceling the account and I had to ask him three times before finally, with anger in my voice, I said "Look, I asked you to close the account, I don't want this service anymore. Thank you". Just a little aside here: Paypal is owned by ebay. Every time you make a purchase on ebay, they make a commission on the sale. By owning Paypal, they also make money by charging the seller to receive their payment (that's two revenue streams from a single sale now). By setting up this BillMeLater scam, ebay/Paypal has now figured out how to get money from both seller and buyer"”pretty slick, eh? This folks, is precisely the kind of greed that the OWS people are screaming about. If it's all on the up and up that's one thing but these weasels are trying to get you to use their "service" whether you want to or not. Corporate slime.

I have been using BillMeLater to pick up a few things my family needs now but I don't have all the money to pay for now. I'm making $50 to $100 a month payments depending on how much I have spent and am planning on having everything paid off completely within 90 days so I don't get charged interest.

I have a $600 USD credit line and I only have $190 USD balance.

I tried earlier to make a purchase on Wal-Mart.com and not only was I declined from BillMeLater but on the second attempt I was locked out of my account and told to contact customer service at a 888 number. As of right now I'm not too happy about this.

@Urmom "It might be two revenue streams, but they are providing 2 unique services that are useful to millions of people. While you only complain."

Yeah, it's two unique services, but it's called a monopoly when one service forces you to use the other. Microsoft when through that and LOST when it forced you to use Internet Explorer. Now at least, you can uninstall it.

Ebay won't let you accept check, cash, or other payment options. You MUST use PayPal.

Yes BillMeLater is owned by ebay, same as Paypal is. That alone should alert you to the fact that it's a shady outfit. One which should be avoided.

You can file complaints to the FTC complaint assist dot gov website. Just search that term. You can also file complaints to your state's consumer protection bureau.

BTW just ignore the naysayers. Ebay and paypal have paid people to run around the internet and insult unhappy clients who chose to voice their complaints. Everyone knows that too.

View more comments (4)